I started again with the foil slider cases to make the holes in it, it takes time to make them precise, but the result in the end is nice. We did also make a start with the compression bars, we make them into two stages, first the laminate and then the high density putty. It is in the vacuum back so there is not so much to see. These bars will be glued against beam mounts to spread the compression over the bulkheads.
The last days I started with the preparation for the 32SR daggerboard, this daggerboard has the advantage that it fits before the mast, so it can be taken out without removing the mast. We want the head entrance behind the daggerboard case and this daggerboard is more high aspect so it gives more room for that.
We had to adjust some on the balance because the main of the SR is bigger than the R. Nico did some calculation for me to get the boat in balance again. We make the daggerboard 20 cm shorter and move the daggerboard 2 cm to the front. In the drawing you can see the several daggerboards and the balance point. The total length of the daggerboard is now 310 cm. The foam is glue together into two sections because the full lenght does not fit in the router of Nico. On the edge there has to come some more HD foam but I run out of it so I have to wait till january. I did also some work on the daggerboard case, repair the imperfections, make the hole for the cheek block, trim the edges and stiffen the sides with stringers.
This side went also nicely out of the mold, only some slight imperfections on the rope channel but that can be fixed easily. we baked the two halfs for a couple of hours, so they are now more hardened.
In the morning we did the port side of the daggerboard case. I made a sort of oven from foam panels, I laid the starboard side on top so it can harden even more. On monday we did get our wind sensor, it is NMEA2000 and it has a rotating mast option. On this boat every instrument will be N2K. Here is an example how the angle of the mast can be measured.
The starboard half did come nice of the mold and the result was very nice. After that I had to prepare the mold for the port side and make the foam pieces, this took more time than I first thought. The rope channel took the most time because because I had to put some forming clay in the corners.
We first moved Thrill Seeker in the winter storage and in the afternoon we laminated the starboard half of the daggerboard case. As a first layer I used some epoxy with graphite powder to make it more slik. The picture is taken after the release of the vacuum, I baked it in a proximity 50 grade celsius for a couple of ours and is now rock solid. Tomorrow we unpack it and maybe I can do the port side.
I only did some preparation to be able to laminate the daggerboard case tomorrow. I did this for both sides so the other side can we don quick after the first one. First we have to do tomorrow morning is put Thrill Seeker in the winter storage and after that we can laminate.
Yesterday we laminated the nose and today we unpacked the nose and it looked good, I leave the peel ply on for the moment. I started with the SR daggerboard case mold again, I made it from chipboard but I find this not smooth enough (I stay away from this material in the future). So I glued a smooth thin layer hardboard on it. I also finished the rope channel so It can be used when I need it. I first start with the half without the channel.
Today we let the floats out for a walk, Fetske had to sit down after that ;-) we had to go to the street to turn them (front to back and back to front) because the float on the sealing takes too much place when the nose is in the front and I need some space to glue the nose on in the front. When al was closed and settled again I glued the nose on. Tomorrow I can shape the cone and maybe we place Thrill Seeker in the winter inside storage. We weight one float with the nose on and it was 82 kg.
Today we did unpack the nose and It looked nice. I started with the second nose cone and it is almost ready, I only have to glue some piece to the top but I do that when I trial fit the cone. I did also some piece of carbon on the inside of the hatch entrance.
Yesterday I had to work in the afternoon and in the morning we did have looked at a shed to build the centre hull. Today I faired the cone and laminated it with two layers of 300gr. On the nose edge I put two layers UD to give it more strength. I also put two small layer 250gr over the holes for the side stays.
I made a small shelter and put the heater in it to get some good temperature
I did shape the cone with a band grinder and the last part with a longboard with some tape on one side so it did not fare the carbon but only the foam. As a finish I put some putty on it to fill the holes. Now I only have to fare the putty and the put some carbon on.
Today I glue the nose cone on, I also placed some UD carbon across the tubes before I placed the cone. The cone is made of many foam off cuts, it cleans the shed, I had two garbage bags full of them.
To place the cone I had to place the float across the shed to get some space in front. Tomorrow I am going to shape the cone in the right shape.
From the offcuts I made some foam blocks what I glued to a centre web made of two foam plates. There is not much room as you can see, the stern is against the other wall. The foam is not yet glued to the floats so I can easily shape it in form. I still have to glue some more blocks to it.
Last week we unpacked the float out of the follies and the result looked very good. Yesterday I scraped and plastered the seams with some putty. The hatch entrance got some extra 250gr carbon because there was only 250gr. This made it easier to put the vacuum back on for the outside laminate.
Today I started with the nose cones to clue some foam together.